Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    ULURU, KATA TJUTA AND RAINBOW VALLEY

    June 17, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    On Saturday we got up early to go to Rainbow Valley. At Rainbow Valley we had breakfast, went on a walk and made friends with a Singing Honeyeater. The Sining Honeyeater was hanging around us and it even pecked our fingers.
    The walk we did took us to a rock called Mushroom Rock.
    A little bit later we left to go Uluru. The road back out to the main road was very corrugated. Back on the main road it was a 3 hour drive to our campsite at Uluru.
    The night we arrived, Saturday, we went to watch the sunset over Uluru. Uluru changes colour as the sunsets and rises. We had leftovers as an easy, late tea.
    The next morning we got up quite early to see the sunrise over Uluru. At night it was 1° Celsius, so it was pretty cold when we got up, but it was worth it.
    The Cultural Centre inside the National Park was our next stop (the viewing platform, Uluru and Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) are all in the Park.) At the Cultural Centre we found out a bit about the walks and some of the Aboriginal Dreamtime Stories and how they interpreted the marks and holes in Uluru.
    The first walk we did was a free guided walk called The Mala Walk. It was a good walk and we found out a lot of information. I got to balance a gathering basket on my head like the women would have carried them.
    After The Mala Walk we did a walk at Mutitjulu Waterhole, an easy walk to a nice little waterhole with lots of side tracks. That night we cooked sausages on the fire.
    Ben and I attempted to slide down the sand dune at our campsite.
    While eating sausages we watch the sunset over Uluru and Kata Tjuta (you can see both of them from the sand dune.)
    After tea Ben and I created our own fires using a stick that we lit by putting it in the original fire and the rest of the wood. When all the fires had burnt down to just coals we cooked some chicken that we were going to have the next night.
    The next morning on Monday we got up quite early again to see the sunrise over Kata Tjuta. When we got to the car park there was a short walk to the viewing platform. When we got to the viewing platform we took a couple of photos then made pancakes for breakfast. They were delicious.
    To fill up the rest of the day did a couple of walks. One of the walks was called Walpa Gorge and the other Valley of the Winds.
    We did the Walpa Gorge walk first and in the windier part of the day, but it turns out Walpa means windy and it was a lot windier then the Valley of the Winds. The walk itself was nice, but the weather not so much.
    The walk was in between two cliff faces on a gently sloping slabs of rock. As you got further into the crack it get more and more lush.
    The Valley of the Winds walk was amazing. We were planning to only go to the first lookout but we ended up going to the second one as well.
    The first part of the walk was dry and with lots of mulga.
    The first lookout looked over a little valley. Then we had a debate whether or not we would go on. Dad, Mum and I wanted to go on and Ben didn't so much but we went any way.
    The walk took us down in between The Olgas, on the way we saw a whole heap of Zebra Finches. After a bit down in the valley we started make our way up to a saddle in between two walls of rock, the view was amazing, looking over more of the Olgas.
    I would have liked to continue but we were unprepared so we had to turn around.
    On the way back to the car we all started getting hungry hotter then we were before (the last bit of the walk is the hottest.) For lunch we had salad wraps and met some people we talked to at the sunrise.
    That evening we went on a camel ride. Our tour was a sunset tour that went for a couple of hours with damper, nibbles and drinks afterwards.
    The best part of the ride was the getting up and down ( the camels are so tall that they have to kneel down for someone to get on, standing up with there back legs first.) We rode for a bit then stopped to have our photos taken with us on the camels with Uluru in the background.
    Again we rode then stopped, this time to watch the sunset (we spent most of the time watching a drone flying over us.)
    We rode back to the farm and had damper, nibbles and drinks. There was a video of all the photos that had been taken.
    The next morning we drove to Kings Canyon.
    Read more