Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    Kings Canyon

    June 21, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    At Kings Canyon we did the Rim and Creek Walks. We stayed at a place called Morris Pass Look-Out. The look-out was at the top of a rocky slope. We could see Kings Canyon from our camp and the sunsets were amazing (we didn't get up early enough to see the sunrise.)
    On our first night we collected firewood and had fish for tea. Ben and I whiled away the afternoon by exploring the slope. We also discovered a great spot to watch the sunset from.
    The next morning we got up reasonably early to drive out to the canyon.
    When we got up there we decided what walks we were going to. We decided to do the Creek and Rim walks. We did the Creek Walk first.
    On the walk there was lots of different layers of rock and a dried up creek.
    We met one man and he said that when they came a couple of years ago that they were wading though water the whole time.
    The walk was shorter then usual because of a big storm in the wet season when a big boulder fell on the look out.
    We walked back and started the steep climb to the top of the canyon.
    There was about 250 steps going almost vertically up.
    Once at the top of the canyon we took a little detour out to the edge of the canyon for a look, then we continued up some more stairs to another look-out.
    We continued on through a little valley until we came to a small cave. It was about 10:00 so we decided we would have a snack. We kept walking for a couple of hours meandering through the so called "Lost City".
    We came to a look-out turn off that involved scrambling over "buildings" of the Lost City until you came to a sheer drop off looking down into the canyon and Garden of Eden. You also had to cross a cool bridge to get there.
    After about 3 hours we came to the stairs to The Garden of Eden, they were also about the same height and steepness except going down instead of up. When down in the garden we took our packs and shoes off. There was a pool of water in the garden but you weren't allowed to swim because it was very still water that doesn't go anywhere. We had a very "nice" lunch of honey and peanut butter sandwiches. There was one man sitting near us who had forgotten his lunch so we offered him one of our sandwiches and he said it was delicious.
    We finished our lunch and kept walking. The scenery was about the same as before. We came to a gate that was the turn around spot for a different walk so everyone walks the same way. We finished the walk and listened to a ranger talk picking up some good little book about animals in central and arid Australia.
    The next day we packed up and drove to Hermannsburg.
    Read more