Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Quito

    November 19, 2018 in Ecuador ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Surviving our 26151818 overnight bus ride (a little exaggeration, I know, but it feels like that!) we arrived in Quito in the early morning at 5 am.
    After a short sleep in our super clean hostel, we woke up to enjoy a city with an over 500-years old historic center, that an UNESCO world heritage site.
    We were taking a Free Walking Tour and learned a little about the cultures that influenced the city. Did you know Ecuador has 81 vulcanos? Us neither.
    There are plenty of plazas, churches (with lots of gold) and nice narrow streets with sweet restaurants.
    We were visiting the local „Mercado central“ and searched for the one vegetarian dish (a soup) they were offering.
    And what’s the best? Ecuador has such nice chocolate. We went into a shop and could try crazy combinations (e.g. with Yucca, a Kind of potato) and it all tasted awesome!
    The last day, we climbed up the Basilica (one of the three biggest gothic churches in the world) and enjoyed a fabulous view.
    In the end we can say, that although we met many Travellers that were a victim of pickpocketing on their way to Quito and the weather was crazy (icy rain and thunder every afternoon) we enjoyed it a lot and wished we could stay 1 or 2 days longer.
    Read more