Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Busselton

    February 9, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Saturday in Busso.
    Started with a walk along the beach. Beut morning and calm ocean. Hope it is this calm tomorrow for the swim.
    Big brekky at the van, and then a trip to Busso for some window shopping. Also some shopping for caravan and car accessories.
    In the afternoon, went to the front near jetty to register for the swim the next day. Very well organised. Julia was trying to get entered into the one mile race but had left it too late and was unsuccessful.
    Spent a bit of time catching up with some club members, as they registered as well as some old friends.
    Then back to the caravan to start getting ready for the dinner that night. We had invited various people around to the park to join us in a bbq, etc.
    It was a good night. We had about 25 people around, including our family and Ian and Lyn's family. We had a great night and everybody seemed to enjoy themselves.
    Quiet night.
    Sunday in Busso - day of the swim. The weather was calm and the water looked great.
    Drove to Busso and got ready for the swim - along with 3,000 other participants and probably another another 3,000 spectators and helpers.
    Started the swim well, trying to keep up with Ian, who was steaming along at a good pace. I was using a new set of flippers, to try and protect my shoulders, and after swimming about a kilometre, both my legs began to cramp up. I spent the rest of the next 2.5kms, either on my back trying to ease out the cramp, or else on my front swimming very slowly without kicking. Got to the finish in my worst time ever and could hardly stand due to the cramps. But finished.
    It was really good to see that all the others in our group did very well.
    Ian, in his 24th swim, did amazing. One of his best times ever. And everybody else did PB's, so that was good. Well done Dom (under the hour) Pamela, Annie, Mark, Tom, Max, James. And in the mile race were Kerry and Jo.. 11 competitors from our club, which was a great effort by all.
    Met up with Eddie and Genny, and went to the Dome for a brunch of eggs, bacon, toast and lots of grease - wonderful stuff after a long swim.
    We then took Ed and Gen back to the caravan park for a coffee, etc and a chat. They left at lunchtime to head back home.
    Spent the rest of the day relaxing. And a walk up the beach with Ian and Lynn (they were camped on the site next to us) and joined their family for a swim. Very pleasant.
    Wine and nibbles for sundowner with the McCays - very civilised, and something I think we will be getting into in the future.
    Tried to extend our stay by another couple of days but could only get 1 extra, which we were grateful for.
    Monday in Busso - just a relaxing day around the park, and beach, and in Busso. The weather was still brilliant and the ocean was magic and calm. Nice way to finish a great long weekend.
    Summary - Amblin park is a great place to stay. The locals are very friendly. The location is superb. Only problem is the high price, at $65 per night, it was easily the most expensive park that we stayed at. Still easy to recommend though.
    Read more