Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Breaking wind

    October 10, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 37 °F

    We finally made it to Diamond Beach and the glacier lake that feeds large chunks of icebergs to the ocean and breaks apart on the black lava sands beach. We spent waaayy too long here. Chelsea was in love. I guess they are right, diamonds are a girls best friend. Especially since it took 3 attempts to make it here! By the way. We ran into that cute French couple that gave us their shower that one night. They are sooo adorable. Even tho they think we are stalking them.
    After this we went back to Hofn where we ate for the first time “fast food” that cost $60+. Everything here costs loads of money. I guess even quick counter service food also is too. Prolly because it’s real ingredients. 🤷‍♂️
    Then moving on to Vesturhorn where you usually get iconic mirror-like reflections on the beach of the large scenic mountains in the backdrop. Expect when you visit the day after a wind storm. 😅 To make this located even better are the black sand dunes. With golden straws sticking up as they blow in the wind.
    The wind was still very strong from the day before. To give an idea, the air temp was 34 or so but it felt like 22,23. So strong was the wind that instead of driving 100kph I was doing 60-70. A few times we even dropped to 50kph.
    It was scary, the camper van would (without warning) get blown to the left or the right. Thankfully their are hardly any cars on the road affording me to drive in the center of two lanes.
    We finally made it to our camp site then we cooked our first meal inside our red van on top of a mountain awaiting the northern lights (predicted to be a 5 on the KP index (this is good)). As a result we were dancing on top of this mountain overlooking the city in 30-35mph winds. Chelsea was dancing in my sleeping bag dragging it along the wet gravel. But it was totally worth it. Next days another long one. Can’t wait to tell you all about it! PS, we survived.
    Read more