Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Lake day 🛶👙🚫

    October 12, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 45 °F

    Wednesday we had a sleep in. Again. The roads and campsite were covered in ice. We watched people falling left and right. 😛 Drove around the lake (Myvatn) waiting for the coffee shop to open (at 12:00noon) That was nice. After this, we wanted to try out some 4x4ing (with our 2 wheel drive van) to get to a dormant volcano so we could hike to the top. We were 1.5km short of the trail head because of all the snow….. So we parked and walked through anywhere from 4”-16” of snow with the top layer of snow being crispy ice that could either hold you or not. Every step now and then would result in a heavy drop that would get snow down your boots. When we made it to the bottom of the volcano we noticed the wind start to pick up. And boy did it ever. As we hiked up. It got so strong you could barely breath. But we did it! At the top it was even worse. I hope the video shows a glimpse of what it was like.
    Next, I took an outdoor shower with some geothermal water and visited the close by fart field. Chelsea stayed in the van cuz it was way too cold and windy.
    We went for gas to get our car filled up and bought some scotch that Iceland and Scotland did a colab on. Made friends with the owner of the gas station. (Young guy our age) here we also saw a baby cow in the back of a 4Runner.
    Watched the sunset at an overlook from our camper-van while we shared a scotch then after dark went to some thermal bath spa awaiting the aurora show that would be so dim your eyes can hardly tell the difference between them and a soft cloud.
    After this, we went to a local hotel to have a beer before bed where we met the gas station owner and spent a couple hours talking with him and the bartender about the tough local life that the Icelanders have. Drove the local to his home and then back to our campsite for us. 90% of the grounds were closed because of ice and snow so we were all packed in like sardines. Nice and cozy, having van neighbors 2 feet away on either side. 😅
    Slept great by the way!
    Read more