Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    My’vatn again

    October 13, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 32 °F

    So we started this day off like we start every other day. We woke up in a campervan. 😂
    Actually we went to the only grocery store in town (more of a convenience store) for more supplies where we ran into our gas station owner friend again. He was actually watching us waiting for us to notice. Kinda weird right?
    Then off to try climbing another dormant volcano. We came here the day before but the road was closed and we didn’t feel like another long hike. But we wouldn’t have time to wait for 2 feet of snow to magically disappear, so we parked at the road closed gate and walked to the normal parking lot for this site. An extra 1.9km each way. It’s a steep hill and it’s full of 24” snow at some points. Under the top layer of snow is a sheet of smooth ice. I’m starting to see a pattern. Unfortunately, Chelsea did fall once even as careful as she took her steps and she hurt her knee and hip (starting to feel like an old woman) …..at the top of this volcano there was supposed to be crystal blue water. It wasn’t that bright or colorful but it still was beautiful. I’m just glad it wasn’t full of snow or frozen ice like everything else.
    This morning was also made up of driving to two other locations for drone footage that I couldn’t get yesterday because of 35-45mph windows. Now this day. 0 wind. Yes. That’s ZERO with a capital Z. So our hike up to the volcano lake. I only wore a sweater and was starting to get over heated. The sun is sooo strong here when it’s out. If felt so nice.
    We left My’vatn and continue W. Where we went to a huge waterfall called Godafoss (waterfall of the gods, I think) and I believe the story is that it got its name by people throwing their false gods down the falls at one point. These falls were very large but at this point it was getting windy and cold again. So we only stayed for about 20 mins.
    We next went to Husavik where we thought we would watch a sunset and enjoy more geothermal spa baths. But when we got there it was cloudy as all get out. So we backtracked and went to the most populated city in the N where there is a Kingdom Hall. We didn’t visit the hall. It looked like it’s in a rented building with many businesses in the same building.
    We found an amazing seafood restaurant and an Airbnb with a hot tub and cold bath (we didn’t get in the cold bath). This Airbnb was in the middle of nowhere and tucked up against the bottom of a Mtn. We were looking forward to seeing more northern lights but the clouds never parted ways for us.
    Still thought it was a very cute and cozy place. And a nice break from the camper van.
    Read more