Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Gone with the wind

    October 15, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 32 °F

    We have been driving soo much to avoid this blizzard directly in our path. So we went back to the S where we were before and hit up the golden circle. The first stop was to see how bread is made by burying a pot in the 100°C ground. They gave us bread straight out of the ground and smoked trout to eat.
    Next stop was the worst. And I mean the worst experience we’ve had traveling so far. It was a 4.5 mile hike in thick mud. You couldn’t just walk in the mud. You would slip and slide. But we persisted as the worst of the worst parts were only 2 miles of this hike. When we got to the river. It was extremely blue. Like unreal blue. We were mesmerized. So despite my commonsense I took the drone out. The wind forced me to fly it in “sport mode” meaning it flys really fast. Without putting it on this setting, it wouldn’t move forward into the wind. So, I wanted to fly the drone under this foot bridge that was 4’ wide. And yes, you guessed it. I hit the bridge and the drone went deep into the water never to return. We tried for 1 hour to search before we gave up. Soooo all, yes ALL, of my 4K footage of this trip is gone. Gone with the wind.
    We didn’t want this to ruin our trip anyway. So after a few tears we went back to the van. With words we can not say about how we felt about the wind and the mud. Back at the van, we semi-gained our composure and moved on to another fart field. With 2 geysers. We watched one go off 3 times and went back to the van with frozen fingers and chins. Then on to the biggest waterfalls we have seen yet. They were pretty. Awe inspiring one could say.
    Then, pizza!!! Yum yum yum.
    After this. We had to drive back to our campsite where we rented a “pod”. But the 1 hour 50 min turned into 2.5 hours because of the wind. At one point I almost just pulled over to sleep in some construction area. The wind was so strong that gravel was flying sideways into the road and of course our van. It was raining gravel! I thought for sure this time, the van would surely flip. It did not. We are still alive.
    Anyway. That brings us to today. Let’s see how this goes! Not sure what we will do yet. But let’s start with coffee??? Yes. Let’s start there.
    Read more