Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    I dont want to leave

    October 14, 2022 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 39 °F

    The place we stayed at was sooooo nice. Comfortable and cute. I wanted to stay forever. Especially because I think I have a new calling in my life. Chelsea slept in while I went to the farm we were staying on and shoveled horse poo and cleaned the horse stalls while they were out. After they were clean we brought the horses back to their stalls as it’s too cold and windy for them outside. The blizzard (yes, another one) that is approaching is too much for them to stay outside. These Icelandic horses aren’t just any Icelandic horses. They are show horses. The Airbnb owners train them, win prizes for them then sell them all over the world. By the way. They can cost anywhere from $10-15k to the one who’s stall I cleaned who just sold for $100,000. He is being shipped to Switzerland on a plane. The horses air fair only cost between $2,000-3,000. I think that’s a pretty good deal!
    Next we drove along the N coast weaving in and out of the fjords. Chelsea at one point drove on a 45+ mile stretch of gravel with what seemed to be 3’ deep potholes (really only 3” but it felt like a lot). The speed limit was 80kph but I think she never got above 60 as it was in rough shape.
    We saw the most amazing rock formations on the ocean and finally made it to where we wanted to camp. Well, unfortunately because of the fast approaching blizzard we continued further S near to the capital. Where we would check into our cute campsite for the night at 8:30pm. It was a long driving day but a fun one for sure. The first day all the roads were actually dry of snow, ice or even rain. It also wasn’t crazy windy. So the driving was mostly relaxing. Minus the hour long pot hole road.
    At our campsite we got an alert from the aurora app that they might be strong after midnight. Well, we set an alarm, peaked out of the camper to see some activity. But it was quite cloudy outside. So we drove around the farming roads till we found clear sky. They were the best ones yet by far! Check out the video and pictures. We were dancing and cheering for the 1.5 hours we watched them. Finally drove back to the campsite to sleep around 2am.
    Read more