Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 7: Hueneja to Alquife

    May 2, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Seventh stage, Hueneja to Alquife. 20 km on pleasant paths through almond orchards.
    A few small climbs, nothing too bad, just enough to do a little cardio.
    First stop, Dólar. Unfortunately, nothing is open. We continue our journey, this time with two Irishmen, father and son.
    We take a short break under a beautiful chestnut tree.
    Second stop, Ferreira. We will have our tostadas at the bar El Hogar.
    Then comes La Calahorra, with its castle on the hill. We visited it last year. A mojón tells us that we have walked 100 km from Almería.
    On the way to Alquife we meet a goatherd with his herd. He tells us about the drought, about the greed of human beings in search of money, about the fact that mankind is destroying nature. And he runs off after realising that his herd has wandered too far.
    And finally, at the end of the stage, we arrive in Alquife. The mine is huge and leaves a brown dust everywhere. For the last four days, the town celebrated the feast of the patron saint, San Hermenegildo. We see the remains of the festivities, all the bars and restaurants are closed, and there is not a soul around.
    Tonight we're sleeping in the albergue Lacho.
    Read more