Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Day 19: Junta de los Caminos to Almogia

    May 22, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Nineteenth stage, from Junta de los Caminos to Almogia, 13.4 km.
    We are back on the Camino. More precisely, on the third branch of the Camino Mozárabe, which starts in Málaga.
    Once you get out of the old part of Málaga, which is beautiful with its trees, parks and heritage buildings, there is nothing very exciting about this city. While walking our youngest grandchild, not far from the centre, someone had used a stencil to paint on the pavements, repeatedly, "Málaga, dog-poo friendly city".
    So we decided not to start our walk from the centre of Málaga, but to take bus 21 to the Junta de los Caminos.
    The Junta de los Caminos is part of the municipality of Málaga, and the Ayuntamiento is currently building a pilgrim's path there. Until this is completed, we set off along the road, which was a little busy this morning with commuters heading to work.
    Once we passed the bridge over the Río Campanillas, we followed unpaved paths.
    A few short steep climbs over the first hills surrounding Málaga, and we were able to enjoy the views. Of course, that's when we weren't in the fog, or when it wasn't raining.
    It must be said that rain is welcome here and needed. It has rained for the last three days of our stay in Málaga, and today we arrived in Almogia in the rain.
    A very pleasant up and down Camino. The only village we passed through is called Los Suizos. Probably because some Swiss had settled there.
    Almogia is one of those towns built on a hillside. And the albergue is at the top end of the town. It's a very simple albergue, with 4 bunk beds and a shower. There is no kitchen, except for a microwave. That's all we need to rest at the end of this stage.
    Read more