Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Day 24: Vva de Algaidas - Encinas Reales

    May 28, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Day 24, from Villanueva de Algaidas to Encinas Reales, 17.2km.
    It wasn't long before we found ourselves outside the town, first following a few poorly-formed paths, which led us past the ruins of a Franciscan convent. We crossed an arroyo on a medieval bridge, only to find a path on the other side, badly ravined by the recent rains, which leads to the village of La Atalaya.
    On leaving the village, we started a long climb through olive groves. Up, up and down again. Before reaching Cuevas Bajas, there is a viewpoint, El Cedrón, offering a beautiful panorama.
    At Cuevas Bajas, we refuelled with tostadas and Aquarius Limón, which we needed to start the climb to Encinas Reales, all on a bitumen road. Leaving Cuevas Bajas, we crossed the Río Genil, passing from the province of Málaga to that of Córdoba.
    The Encina Reales albergue is very simple, with no kitchen, and is located under an esplanade with a playground. And we were very happy to be under this simple roof when a hailstorm broke out. It wouldn't have been fun to be out on the roads at that time!
    Read more