Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Day 38: Castuera to Campanario

    June 13, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Day 38, Castuera to Campanario, 22.6km.
    It wasn't until we left Castuera that we realised we were in the world capital, no less, of everything to do with sheep.
    Leaving town, we followed a Via Pecuaria, one of those transhumance paths. This Via Pecuaria is marked by milestones bearing the letters VP at regular intervals.
    After just over 7km, we crossed the Río Guadalefra. The railway crosses it on an iron bridge.
    This railway links Puertollano to Badajoz, passing in front of the old station of Quintana de la Serena. This station, now disused, was at one time, or still is, I don't know, an albergue, far away from everything.
    When a combine harvester goes by, you just get out of the way! Farming isn't the only activity here, as we passed by a granite quarry and a black pig farm.
    Arriving in Campanario, looking for a menu del día, the Restaurant Seneca was recommended to us. Delicious food and a very friendly owner.
    We had been warned that the Campanario refugio was spartan. Our Australian friend compared it to a prison. We booked a room at the Albergue de la Estación. It's a bit more comfortable, the only downside being that it's 40 minutes from the city centre.
    Read more