Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Day 40: Magacela to Don Benito

    June 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 35 °C

    Day 40, from Magacela to Don Benito, with a detour to see the rock paintings, 20.7km
    A beautiful sunrise accompanied us this morning as we climbed up from Barrio de Abajo.
    We intended to follow a new route for the Camino between Magacela and La Haba.
    But before leaving Magacela, we wanted to see the cave paintings, which we weren't able to see yesterday because of the heat. They're not far from Magacela, and it's not a big detour. The rising sun shines brightly on the rock face where the paintings are located, but they are not easy to recognise.
    Back on the Camino, we take an alternative route offered by Badajoz Jacobea. This avoids walking along the carretera BA-084. This alternative route partly follows a Via Pecuaria.
    Arriving at La Haba, we took a short break in the shade of the church. But not too long, because the temperature was rising. We set off again for Don Benito, on a path that was white under the sun. An umbrella provided shade for my darling.
    In Don Benito, the Plaza de España is under construction, but the Ayuntamiento and the church of Santiago Apóstol are both accessible.
    What a difference between Magacela, where we were greeted warmly in the street, and Don Benito, where we're just strangers.
    Read more