Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Kyneton Bushland Resort

    November 15, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    When we were making our plans for this long trip, we decided the week of timeshare would be best in the middle, thinking that it would be more leisurely after the hectic pace of seeing as much as you can in several places. Boy, was that a good decision!! Dave soldiered through a head cold for several days before we got here and I got it just a day before. We have been doing much more resting and making shorter outings. Although we are not fully over the bug we are feeling better to go to Tasmania on Friday.
    Dave now feels quite comfortable on the left side of the road after driving for 10 days. He hardly ever puts the windshield wipers on to signal a turn and passed all the breathalysers. Yes, he did 3 in the first 5 days. Here, they pull everyone over like in a RIDE stop, but everyone blows. When we first got the car is was Melbourne Race Week, with the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday. That day is a bank holiday in the Melbourne area which gives you some idea of the importance. Locals think there was a lot of breathalyser stops because of the partying that week.
    We continue to have kangaroos in our backyard almost every day around 5:00 pm. The cabins are widely spaced with natural areas between. We must have tasty grass here. The magpies come and sit on the railing to keep us company on our deck.
    One day we went to Mount Macedon Park, about an hour away. We went to see the cross on the top in memory of those who died in the wars. The views were super from up there and the plantings around were lovely. We also went to a Duneira Garden. It is open just a few times in the spring and again in the fall. We hit it just right with Bluebells lining the laneway and huge Rhododendron bushes in bloom in pinks, white, and orange. Roses were also reaching their peak. The walk around took us over an hour with many little special gardens to go into.
    Dave went on a wine tasting tour from the resort one day when I was under the weather. He quite enjoyed it and of course, brought some bottles back.
    Yesterday we went to Sovereign Hill, a replica gold mining town from the 1850’s. This area had a lot of gold mines and there are some still functioning. We spent all afternoon on this big site, panned for gold in the creek, which is seeded every day so that people will find gold. We went on a mine shaft tour, and saw various demonstrations taking place. While driving there we saw a tilled field with lots of white birds on it. Gulls, of course, except that these had tufts on their heads. On closer inspection, they were sulphur-crested cockatoo. Even the field scavengers are exotic here.
    Read more