Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    A Toutes Les Gloires De La France

    July 28, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌧 21 °C

    A really full-on day, so this is being written as we cruise along at 300km per hour on our way to Germany.

    Up early and on the road to Versailles. We left our apartment at 7.30 and had to catch two metros and then the RER to reach our destination.

    As we pulled into Chateau Versailles station it started raining and raining. Our first port of call was Macca's for coffee (shameful but it was the only option). Then off to add to our brolly collection as the two we had were never going to suffice.

    From there it was a short walk of 10 mins to Versailles. Versailles is unreal. We had a really great guide take us through. She was very informative and also relayed some really funny anecdotes about the times of Louie xiv to Louie xvi, also known as Louie the sun (because he thought the sun shone out of him), Louie the fun (because he lived a life of affluence based on his father's grandiose ego), and then Louie the done as he lost his life in the French Revolution.

    In 1677 Louis XIV made known his decision to make Versailles his principal residence. The Sun King, sovereign by divine right and with absolute power was intent on dazzling other nations....
    Read more