Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Addio Europa

    August 7, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Our last day in Europe is one of mixed emotions.

    The day started with two members of the family having pastries in bed to help the cause 🥰.

    We caught a taxi to the Vatican and did a tour of the Museum, Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica. The museum was jam packed and hot and the tour too long (apparently 30,000 visitors go through a day, up from 20,000 pre-covid). However, it was interesting to see the scale and magnificence of the place, even though it seems so far removed from the teachings and example of Jesus Christ.

    We returned to our apartment and ate a quick late lunch of cold meat and salad that we bought from Carrefour. We thought the rockmelon was quite tasteless ... until the penny dropped that we had actually bought a packet of diced pumpkin and in fact it wasn't rockmelon at all😂👍

    After lunch, Toby and Matt went souvenir shopping and to the Pantheon. The queue was long and it was quite hot in the sun so we gave that a miss and turned our attention to walking the laneways. Meanwhile Abby and Leah were out handbag shopping.

    Our day finished with dinner at a local restaurant 20 metres from where we are staying and we enjoyed our last meal of authentic Italian food and then returned home to pack up. No gelati stop tonight as we tend to loiter whilst eating it. However, desert was certainly a more than adequate substitute.

    Tomorrow we leave God willing at midday Rome time for Singapore. We arrive at 6am Wednesday local time. So sorry no blog tomorrow.

    Thanks Europe for a fantastic two weeks of really great experiences and opportunities.

    We loved Rome and it has been warm but not too hot. We wouldn't say 'no' to a return visit if the opportunity arises.
    Read more