Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Amsterdam.

    August 16, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ 🌫 15 °C

    My initial impression was that it is dirty and overcrowded, well it is in the centre. However out the area of Jordaan , it was really lovely. Less bike mania, much less crowded and nice restaurants. We ate good Thai food in *"Billy Thais" and had good ice cream on the same Straact. We had Apple cake in Winkels and that was good too. We took a hop on hop off canal tour but it would have been better to just do a single guided boat tour. It worked for us as it was pouring rain so we stayed on. Rembrandt square was interestitng for the 3d sculpture of the midnight painting .
    The hotel Clemens was fine. Tiny room but good bed . Decent breakfast and centrally located across from Ann Frank house. That was booked out so I was unable to see it. The question to get in were literally a half a mile long.
    I prefer Brugge to here. Canals and bikes but much smaller.
    Amsterdam is not really for wandering unless you get up early. There are bikes, mopeds, small electric cars, trams and cars. Add that to lost tourists, me included, stopping to look at maps and phones, it all leads to a kind of stressful navigation of the streets.
    Read more