Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Trogir and Sibenik

    October 8, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    We are approaching the end of our stay in Croatia, one week left before we move on. We’ve got a reasonably busy week, with planned trips that included today’s visits to the towns of Trogir and Sibenik. Trogir is about 45 minutes from Split and Sibenik 1h15. The drive was little inland from the coast, we could see the Adriatic the whole way, but seemed to spend a lot of time going up and down switchbacks on the hills that follow the coastline. The countryside is green, lots of grapes, lots of scenic hills. Croatians drive fast, but generally, not aggressively.

    When we got Trogir, we walked through a bunch of alleyways. The walls of the buildings are made from stone, and the ground is covered in stone as well. The stone on the ground has been polished and it’s so slippery, it’s like an ice rink. There were lots of little souvenir shops, cafes and restaurants along the way.

    We visited the old town in Trogir, the highlight was the 13th century cathedral. The church is very ornate, with copious number of altars off to the side, confessional, marks tombs etc.

    We also visited the Kamerlengo castle and fortress in Trogir. It was built in the mid 15th century and is used for performances during the summer. It was really big with a tower that we got to climb. There were lots of houses, there was a soccer field on one side and the ocean on the other.

    After eating lunch, we drove to Sibenik. We wandered around the alleyways which were similar to the ones in Trogir, we stopped to look at the Mediteranean gardens which had lots of pretty colorful flowers. Then, we stopped at a cafe for ice cream and coffee.
    We also got to see the St. James cathedral and another fortress. If you zoom in on the door to St James Cathedral, you can see holes in it. Sibenik was the site of some fighting during the balkan war, and St James in particular was a bombardment target.

    Sophie and David
    Read more