Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 107

    Thailand International Half and 10km run

    December 15, 2019 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    A few months ago, I thought it would be a great idea for David to run a half marathon in Bangkok and for the girls and I to run a 10 km race. ha! As the date approached, the girls questioned my sanity. They made it known that they had just finished trekking EBC, and the fact that they had never run 10 km before and that the start time was at 4:15 a.m. And the heat! We are northerners through and through and the idea of running in 70% humidity and 27 degrees even made me question my decision. But it was great!

    We woke up at 2:30 a.m., grabbed a taxi and arrived at 3:00 a.m. along with 4,000+ other runners from 49 countries around the world. This is the biggest running event either David or I have participated in and the number of other runners certainly inspired the girls.

    David set our at 3:30 a.m. and finished his half in 1:45. Slow for him, but the heat was just too much. The girls, who have only ever run 7 km before, finished their 10 km in 1:28. We all ran together and did a run/walk at a 3/2. The ice water was a welcome treat, as was the watermelon. So juicy! And the rice and omelette was the best post-run food we've ever had. The jelly soup looked interested, but at 6:00 in the morning, none of us were adventurous enough to try it.

    Our next run will be in Seoul, Korea in March, 2020, which will hopefully see some milder temperatures.

    Clarinda
    Read more