Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 219

    Coromandel Peninsula

    January 2, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Coromandel was where we weathered one of the biggest summer storms of the year. We unknowingly headed up to one of the most isolated, remote parts of Coromandel the day before a huge storm hit! Right to where the road runs out... We had one beautiful day up at Fletcher Bay then were warned 'either leave now, or tie your tent down tight and don't even think about driving that road tomorrow!'. We went out for a quick walk in the morning thinking it didn't look too bad... then we got soaked. And soaked some more. Then a bit more for good measure. We dumped our soaking wet clothes in the tent porch and then sat in the car for the rest of the day. Many many hours spent trapped in that car!
    We got up the next day after quite a lot of strong wind that night, only to find that the road no longer existed and had been over run by the extremely high tide! Luckily, there was a little back road that we could take, but it was a long slog avoiding rocks, moving fallen branches and playing chicken with the waves coming over the road! Goodbye Coromandel, it's been an experience!
    Read more