Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    We didn't steal any glasses?

    July 3, 2016 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Our first full day in Brussels! Last night, after getting in and finding what seems like the only open waffle house and watching the Brussels game/orange is the new black, we got a little sleep before getting up and heading out on a walking tour at 10:30am.

    The walking tour was amazing and our guide, Adrian, made it even better. We started out at the Grand Place of Brussels - an amazing square which houses the city hall, kings house, and various old guilds now dedicated to public services. The only guild still housed in the Grand Place is the guild a brasseur: the brewers guild. Brussels is known for its beer and trust us .. There is a reason for this 🍺

    After taking in the splendor that is the gilded buildings of the Grand Place, we headed to our next stop: Mannekin Pis. This unique statue represents a little boy peeing into a well... And they honestly don't know why. The best guess they have is that back in the day, many items had to be dyed with a mix of ammonia and where can you find ammonia for cheap? In your urine. The statue is bit of a legend now, and (though small) definitely brings character to the city.

    After mannekin pis, we traveled through to see the church of St Nickolas, the church of St Michel and the opera house (all beautiful but I'm too tired to think right now) and ended up past the Sablon to the city hall overlook.

    Once the tour was over, we decided we wanted to go to the (in)famous bar "delirium" where there are hundreds of Belgian beers on tap including several of their house brewed. Honestly we just went for the pink elephant glasses... Which we may have walked out with. I'm not sure. Ok I'm sure. We have the glasses.

    After the successful raid of the pink elephant glasses we headed back to the hotel to change and shower before coming back into the city to grab food and watch the Germany vs. Italy game. Yay Deutschland!

    As usual, we were out far later than we thought we would be and headed back to the hotel to get some rest before checking out tomorrow .
    Read more