Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Lying food

    June 11, 2017 in Finland ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    This morning we got up to have buffet breakfast at 8am... (why did we ever think that was a good idea) we left the boat around 10 to store our luggage at city centre and explore the city in the short amount of time we had.

    We started with the most important thing; the Helsinki Cathedral. I honestly have to say that out of all the churches I've seen in my life while traveling... (which is so many) this has to be the most beautiful one I've ever laid my eyes on. With the white walls and gold accents, it was just something else. I do have to say that the inside was underwhelming. There wasn't much design inside. With such an amazing outside, I guess they don't have to compensate for the inside.

    We walked a little to rock church which was a church literally built in the middle of a bunch of rocks. We didn't go inside but the outside was a nice view.

    We discovered that you can take a ferry from Helsinki to the island of Suomenlinna. In 1991, the Suomenlinna fortress was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List as a unique monument of military architecture. Another special feature of the fortress is that in the course of its history it has served in the defence of three realms: Sweden, Russia and Finland. It was about a 20 Minute ferry ride with a decent view of the city. We walked the cobble stone paths, saw the kings gate, explored the fortress, saw hobbit houses then returned back to Helsinki.

    We saw yet ANOTHER church. This one was dark burgundy stone with gold accents on the top. It wasn't open so we couldn't go inside but we went up to get a closer view & some pictures.

    It was now about dinner time. We went to Helsinkis Hard Rock Cafe.... & what a disappointment. The saddest club sandwich I've ever seen.

    We grabbed our bags & caught the train.
    We're now at the airport waiting to board our flight for our last country; ICELAND.

    Some wicked adventures to come. Stay tuned.
    Read more