Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Coldspring, TX - New Adventure RV Park

    March 12, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We are traveling the back roads of East Texas and have found a unique campground. It's full name tells it all - New Adventure RV Park & Horse Motel. Yes, " Horse Hotel". For our larger four legged friends, there are pens with covered stalls, and a fenced pasture. The campground is adjacent to the Sam Houston National Forest where there are 163,000 acres available for unlimited riding.

    Our stay at this location spans 5 days. The longer stay is due to this week being Spring Break for the entire Texas school system. Finding available camping spots during this time is virtually impossible. So, we'll are staying put for the duration.

    In addition to the National Forest, the area is home to Lake Livingston. The lake, the third largest in the state, provides many recreational opportunities and is the primary water source for the city of Houston. To attest to it's largness, the lake is 7 miles across at it's widest point. The Lake was formed by construction of a 2.5 mile long earthen embankment dam across the Trinity River.. Water flow is controlled by a 12 gate concrete and steel spillway. What's unique about Lake Livingston is that it was not built for the purpose of flood control. What water comes in, goes out.

    Doesn't every Dam need a liquor store? See photo below!
    Read more