Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    New Waverly, TX - Sam Houston Nat Forest

    March 17, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 14 °C

    Yet another small town along our rural Texas wanderings. We moved only 30 miles from our previous spot, but this stop was selected with a specific purpose, to camp in our first National Forest.

    Our campground is located in the Cagle Recreational Area of the Sam Houston National Forest, right along the shoreline of Lake Conroe. What a beautiful, peaceful setting! We are camped right on the lake amongst tall pine trees.

    Lake Conroe was created as a reserve drinking water supply for Houston. Being only an hour drive from the city, the Lake has developed into a aquatic recreational area for fishing, boating, and related water activities. All this water and fun has contributed to the area becoming a vacationland for the city folk. Lucky for us we are secluded in the Sam Houston National Forest.

    As for the town of New Waverly, its claim to fame comes from being the home to the gymnastics training center operated by famed coach Bela Karolyi. He trained Olympic champions Nadia Comaneci, Mary Lou Retton, and many others. Never know what you'll pass while on the road.

    Also, you can't pick your neighbors. Woke up this morning and found a Super Hero making breakfast next door. See photo below!
    Read more