Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Sonora, Texas - Caverns of Sonora

    April 4, 2019 in the United States

    Sonora, TX, where the Texas Hill Country meets West Texas and the Chilhuahuan Desert. The landscape is changing as we now head due West. Sand, flat land, and cactus will be with us for many miles. As we motored along the interstate, the blooming wildflowers still blanket the roadside, with the Texas State Flower, the Bluebonnet, showing itself more frequently.

    The campground for our one night stay is part of the Caverns of Sonora, a National Natural Landmark. The caverns are known worldwide for their unusual formations of exceptional beauty. We're not fans of big holes in the ground We'll pass!

    The campground has the distinction of being the only campground that we have visited in our 45 years of cndamping that has live peacocks wandering the grounds. We had the pleasure of an evening peacock serenade. They sound like cats getting their tails stepped on. Thankfully the concert lasted only an hour and they went to bed.

    And for the town of Sonora, it has one claim to fame as most Texas towns do. One, Will Carver, a member of Butch Cassdy's famous Wild Bunch gang, met his fate on the losing end of a gun fight on the streets of Sonora in 1901. The End!
    Read more