Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Lajitas, Texas - Maverick Ranch RV Park

    April 8, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 29 °C

    Now the truth can be told. The real reason for our stopping at "out in the middle of nowhere" Marathon was .........going to Great Bend National Park. We're here!

    Being in Big Bend expands the definition of "middle of nowhere". It's where the desert and mountains meet the river. The Chihuahuan Desert, the Chisos Mountains, and the Rio Grande River converge to create Big Bend National Park. The Park is bigger than the entire state of Rhode Island. Its grandeur is difficult to put into words.

    However, we're not totally alone here. The flora, fauna, and geology is significant. Plants abound, more than 1,200 species. There are 450 bird species, but you have to watch closely and listen. We were lucky to spot a roadrunner dashing across the road. How about 56 species of reptiles. We did see one small lizard scurrying across our trail. And let's not forget 75 mammal species. There are bears and mountain lions making their home here. Add all the beautiful scenery and you know why we're here "in the middle of nowhere".

    There is something to be said for man's involement with all this diversity. That being, he pretty much has left it alone. Big Bend's remoteness and climate extremes have limited man's encroachment. This leaves an unspoiled landscape populated by creatures and plants large and small.

    Big Bend, not to be missed!

    We enjoyed an added scenic bonus by traveling the Camino del Rio or the River Road that follows the Rio Grande River through the Madera Canyon and Big Bend Ranch State Park (The Other Side Of Nowhere). National Geographic has selected this drive as one of the top 10 scenic drives in America. Another outstanding must see.

    PS. It's April and the temperature hit 100° in Big Bend.
    PS. A 100° day wasn't enough, the next day it was 108°.
    Read more