Satelit
Tampilkan pada peta
  • Hari 53

    Marathon, TX - Marathon Motel & RV Park

    7 April 2019, Amerika Serikat ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    We are in the middle of nowhere, in a remote area, in West Texas. Marathon (pop. 500, not counting cattle & wild burros) is the second largest town in Brewster County. Brewster County is the largest county in the country with the lowest population density. The area is known as one of America's last frontiers. Marathon is surrounded by the Chihuahua Desert, which is surrounded by mountains. Get the idea of "in the middle of nowhere"?

    Why is Marathon here? Thank the railroad. The railroad turned Marathon into a shipping and supply point for area ranchers. The railroad is still here today and so are the ranchers.

    Why are we here? There's a nice little campground here. We've been here before. Although it's remote, Marathon has an small upscale hotel with a restaurant, a couple of coffee shops, a few stores, all on one block; plus a small motel with a campground. Quaint! Quiet! Peaceful! And the scenery is spectacular.

    And that spectacular scenery included something special. Our stay at this campground provided access to the Marathon Sky Park, an astronomer's dream. There were 2 professional type observatories on the property, plus amateur astronomers complete with telescopes. We limited ourselves to just being outside and taking in the celestial awe. You haven't seen a starry sky until you view a sky rated #1 on the formal Light Pollution Scale. You can't get a darker sky. What a show!

    The spectacular offerings included a special dinner served at the campground. We were surprised by a local chef making Paella outside on a Mexican themed veranda, complete with flamenco music. The Paella was cooked on an open wood fire in the traditional huge Paella pan, served with a unique salad buffet and sangria. What a surprising treat. Delicious!
    Baca selengkapnya