Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Las Cruces, New Mexico - Las Cruces KOA

    April 21, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Finally got out of Texas and have arrived in Las Cruces, New Mexico, one of our favorite spots. Our campground sits well above the city, so we enjoy a great city view especially at night.

    As mentioned, Las Cruces is a favorite of ours. It's a small city with a population of 102,000. However, it's big enough to have all necessities to live comfortably while not having the congestion and fast pace associated with city life. Las Cruces is the home to New Mexico State University which provides a progressive life attitude and a vibrancy to the city.

    The city has a diverse economic base. Las Cruces lies in the center of the Mesilla Valley, an agricultural oasis. The Rio Grande River bisects the city and supplies the water needed for irrigation. And the city is within driving distance of the White Sands Missile Range and White Sands Test Facility which play an integral part to population growth and higher paying jobs. Also, an influx of retirees has added the area economy and privides a testament to the city's attractiveness.

    The natural attractiveness of Las Cruces cannot be ignored. Actually, it's hard to ignore since the Organ Mountains dominate the city landscape. The city is surrounded by mountains and sits in the center of the Organ Caldera. Not to worry, there hasn't been any volcanic activity for millions of years. However, the area is a desert environment and as such there are many summer days with temperature over 100°. There seems to be more cooler weather than hot which helps keep the natives happy most of the time.

    Las Cruces has a unique reason to call the city home, the Las Cruces Green Chile Trail or the "Walk of Flame". New Mexico is famous for its Green Chile crop, and Hatch, NM, not far from Las Cruces, is known as the "Chile Capital of the World". The New Mexico State vegetable is the New Mexico chile. The chile is taken very seriously here. It can be found even in ice cream. The chile comes in mild to extra hot. We have eaten Mexican food here; and even the standard fare is "hot". This coming from someone who enjoys spicy food. While in Las Cruces experience all the green chili has to offer, but buyer beware.

    All in all, Las Cruces, not a bad place to live. You could do worse!
    Read more