Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 70

    Deming, New Mexico- Rockhound State Park

    April 24, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Still traveling through New Mexico, now in the remote Southwest corner of the state, and 30 miles from the Mexico border. We have found a beautiful state park; one we have not been to before. Rockhound State Park is a gem. It is snuggled up against the Little Florida Mountains. The Park is named for the abundance of minerals in the area - quartz, geodes, jasper, and perlite. Silver and gold were extensively mined attesting to the geological richness that is evident today. The area in general is characterized by lifeless mountain ranges, separated by desert basins, dry lake beds, and lava deposits. We are pretty much "out there". But the views offered in this setting are outstanding.

    The area is anchored by the town of Deming (pop. 15,000), the biggest burg for miles and miles. Deming sprung up with the arrival of the railroad, but not just any arrival. Deming was the site of the second "Silver Spike". This Spike was driven to join the second transcontinental railroad linking the East and West coast. Today transportation continues to play an important role in Deming's growth with the town not only lying astride the major southern railroad route but being on the only major stop along a 120 mile stretch of Interstate 10. In addition to being a transportation hub, Deming is home to a Border Patrol training facility, the largest winery in the State, and not surprisingly, home to the world's largest Chile processing plant. Deming is certainly playing its part in "hot" New Mexico.

    Deming, New Mexico and Rockhound State Park, very nice! We'll be back!
    Read more