Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 119

    Hurricane Mills, TN - Buffalo KOA

    June 12, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We're 75 miles west of Nashville,TN and have stopped in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee. Only reason to stop here is the campground availability. However, there apparently is another reason that has many other people stopping here.

    Hurricane Mills is the home of country music star, Loretta Lynn. In fact, she owns the whole town. The town lies within the 3,000 acre Loretta Lynn Ranch. When she bought the ranch back in the 1960's, the town came with it. So, I guess the 500 people who live in Hurricane Mills in some fashion belong to Loretta Lynn. Strange!

    But there's more to the Loretta Lynn story. The ranch has morphed into a full blown commercial operation, but not the usual cattle raising operation. This operation includes a museum, imitation coal mine, restaurant, country store, gift shop, plantation shop, western store, snack shop, campground, and guided tours of the plantation house. We have a genuine tourist destination (trap). Can't forget, Loretta does give back to the community by throwing in a couple of concerts each year.

    The town itself has a couple of businesses and a post office. The area in general is known for growing corn and peanuts. And where does the town name come from? Simple! There's a Hurricane Creek that powered the Hurricane Mill (also on the ranch). That simple!
    Read more