Satellite
  • Day 6

    Castle life once again

    August 14, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    After a rejuvinating sleep we were ready for action today. It was off on the tram once again as we heading up to Prague castle and St Vitus Cathedral. I have a vague recollection of being up in this area on my last trip but my key memory is the callipo ice cream I got on the walk back down so I was excited to go up and see the area properly.

    We got an all inclusive ticket that had access to seven of the main attractions in the area and by god if it killed us we were getting to all seven. It took us five hours but we managed it. We were glad to have in Vienna first as a lot of the history overlaps. This area was once known as Bohemia and was part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire. Of all the attractions we went to the Cathedral and the Story of Prague was the most interesting. The other parts of the castle and bascilica were medieval in nature and similar to what we have at home. At one point in our last attraction we were contemplating if we would climb our hundred set of stairs for the day or skip that part of the castle when two American tourists heard us and said it was worth going upstairs. For us it wasn't! Americans wouldn't never have seen anything like it but for us it was basically like visiting Bunratty.

    The Cathedral itself is a very imposing figure on the Prague landscape and is worth a visit. When we first arrived there the queue was insane. It looked nearly the entire way around the outside of the cathedral and this is no small cathedral!! I wonder sometimes why people bother waiting in the rosting hot sun in that long a queue. We headed off to do other activities and then returned when it is much shorter.

    Inside the cathedral itself the stain glass windows are striking. The colours and images depicted within them are breathtaking. It was rather dark inside though. Again the medieval nature is obvious straight away.

    After our five hours of wandering we decided to make our way back to the hotel for a rest. This in itself took a couple of hours cause we are very easily distracted. A pit stop in Starbucks for some rejuvenation led to being consumed by the free WiFi. The heat was starting to build now so we were glad to heading back.

    Later that night we returned into the city to an Italian resturant we had seen the evening previously. It was completely gluten free so all three of us could enjoy the pasta without any repercussions. It was delicious. We got an amazing dessert that consisted of homemade ice cream and melted chocolate....the ultimate dream!!

    We continued our wanderings back to the Old Town square and marvelled at the city light up at night. It really is a spectacle. There definitely weren't any Monday blues as we sat al fresco sipping cocktails. You gotta love summer holidays!!
    Read more