Satellite
  • Day 49

    A gentle day

    October 11, 2016 in Wales ⋅ 🌙 5 °C

    I decided that I just wanted to explore the immediate area today and come back to the castle in the afternoon to enjoy amenities.

    I set off to St David's but only got to Newgale, just down the road when I took a left turn to follow the coast. It was all B roads which meant windy, skinny roads with hedges on both sides.

    I can see though why people come to Wales for holidays. I stopped at Broad Haven and took a walk along the beach. The water wasn't as cold as I was expecting (no I didn't paddle but just dipped my fingers in).
    There is a cave/tunnel at the north end of the beach, I did wonder how far in it went.

    I discovered on the beach that I finally have my sense of direction back. It may have something to do with being on the west coast. Until today I guessed where I think north is, then I know north will generally be 180 degrees from the direction I think it is. It is most disconcerting, I hadn't realised how much I rely on knowing where I am in relation to direction until I didn't have it.

    From Broad Haven I made my way along the coast to various other beaches and havens. The church at St Brides (St Bridget's) was open and I was able to go in.

    Milford Haven is where all the ships in the bay are headed/leaving. It is rather incongruous to see 5 or 6 tankers out in St Bride's Bay.
    There is an oil refinery in/near Milford Haven although the harbour was also full of yachts/boats.

    I went back the way I'd come to St David's. It was 4pm by then. I had a look at the information centre and a walk down the main street. I picked up at oggi (Welsh version of a Cornish pastie, I think there is some dispute as to which came first). It had lamb and leek in it.

    I drove back to Newgale and had my dinner on the beach.

    I came back to the castle just as everyone else seemed to be leaving for dinner so I have had the place to myself (except for the poor worker who is waiting for a late arrival) for the last couple of hours.

    The castle has been modernised so is very luxurious inside. I'm not sure what makes a shower luxurious but the shower in my room is. It is very large, with a large shower head and strong water pressure.

    I'm in the sunroom/lounge at the moment which has numerous comfy chairs and couches.

    Photos
    St Brides
    At Druidstone
    Broad Haven beach
    Broad Haven beach
    Tunnel at Broad Haven beach, the colour is natural.
    St Brides
    Read more