Satellite
  • Day 6

    Australia Zoo

    September 7, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    The title says it all. This was the main reason for coming north of Brisbane (plus family live up here). It didn’t disappoint although I think we are both ready for bed and it isn’t 8pm yet.
    We were lucky enough to see them cleaning Scrppa the croc’s enclosure so got to see him move about. A large area of the croc enclosures are being renovated in readiness for their 50th anniversary next year.

    We got to pat an eastern skink, snake and koala (well mum patted the koala, I did all three).
    We went out to the African area which had giraffes (10), zebras and rhinos. Working our way back we were in time for the tiger talk. They’ve three young adult tigers that they handle regularly and also take them up to watch the African animals when the zoo is closed.
    The highlight of the day for me was the performance in the crocoseum. They’ve put a lot of time and training into the birds that were performing.
    With all the animal performances and talks there was a big emphasis on natural behaviours of the animals.
    One animal who wasn’t very cooperative was the 13 week tiger cub who was in an area where he could be viewed as well as people could have a photo taken with him.
    He wasn’t in the mood to sit still and was more interested in chewing on the arm of the keeper with him.
    We were able to see the Aldabra tortoises feeding and heard about their endangerment. The message that humans have caused all the destruction of habitat and killed species to drive them to the brink of endangerment or extinction was definitely made but not as militantly as at Tangalooma resort. There they really drove home the message.
    We saw Scrappa being fed in the afternoon. In this talk we got a lot closer to both the keepers and crocodile. He put on a good performance for us.
    One more stop for the birds of prey and then we were done.

    We ate out last night but after realising there was a kitchen here where we are staying we picked up some simple ingredients to cook tea. The accommodation is really nice here, the rooms aren’t huge but there is a huge range of seating options all around the place. Last night I sat outside on a sofa to write my blog.
    Tonight it’s a bit cooler so I’m inside.
    Read more