Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Tropical Fruit World

    September 12, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Today started out slowly with washing. We then collected Jenny and the boys and headed to Tropical Fruit World. This is an old avocado research station that now has thousands of varieties of fruit.

    We had a picnic lunch before we started the tour with fruit tasting. There were some familiar fruits such as bananas, oranges, kiwi fruit, avocado, pineapple and strawberries. There were familiar fruits that I have either rarely eaten such as papaya and black sapote, and those I haven’t tried before such as Davidson’s plum, star fruit, a fruit related to the custard apple that I can’t remember the name of, and canistel.
    The Davidson’s plum is so astringent it is almost salty. I only took a very small piece. Star fruit was okay if a bit watery. The custard apple relative was nice but I didn’t care for the canistel.
    After the tastings we went on a tractor tour of the property. It wasn’t a great time fruitwise to go as it is really in between fruiting seasons. The tour including a boat ride, tasting lemon myrtle water, banana and macadamias as well as feeding the farm animals.
    We finished up with a fruit ice cream- mine was black sapote which is also known as the chocolate pudding fruit as that is what it tastes like.

    My nephew had training in Lismore so we dropped him off and then went to the Lismore farmers market. Back then to watch my nephew at his MMA training. It gave mum and I an idea of what he does. He’s only a teen but holds his own against older guys.
    Read more