Satellite
  • Day 4

    Camping in a van park.

    March 15, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    My old mate Luigi had a novel description of rain like this. I won't repeat that here but it is certainly bucketing down and Luigi's descriptive saying come to mind.

    We arrived at about 2:30 and commenced a full Monty set up. As we were halfway through I observed what looked like an approaching storm.
    It bucketed down. The kind of shower we had in the bush when there was lots of water. Then it blew and huffed until the pegs began to yield. Luckily only one let go.

    Fortunately we had everything set with the waterproof tarp over the sleeping area. Not having any side walls in was probably a good thing, as later the wind tried hard to blow it all apart.

    Water was soon pooling everywhere and the nice square neat rigout had to be lowered at each corner til the pools of water drained. It was like a fire hose held by a demented fireman letting us have the full force.

    The FX department threw in some lightning and thunder. Great bolts of million volt flashes constantly firing at mother earth. Then sheets of fiery light racing across above us with the sound right on top of us. This happened several times and pretty much scared the bajeesus out of us each time. After nearly an hour it eased of to a bit of spitting.

    Then the rain started again. Steady soaking rain. The kind you just can't get dry in. We will be heading to bed with the patter of rain on our tarp. Hope it does not leak too much. Everything is getting wet.
    Read more