Satellite
  • Day 127

    Coromandel Adventure

    April 27, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    From the moment we got here we were just in awe of the spectacular beauty of the Coromandel Peninsula!

    We drove up the west coast of the peninsula this morning, stopping in Thames and Coromandel Town on the way. From Coromandel town we nipped over the super windy road to the east coast to spend a few hours on the the secluded New Chum beach. We had read that New Chum has been rated as one of the top beaches in the world to visit and we would certainly agree. A 30 minute walk along the coast took us to crystal clear waters, pristine sands and rocky caves. After some swimming and body boarding we headed back to the van to drive up to the northerly tip of the peninsula.

    The views were simply stunning as we drove north past beautiful beaches, coves and cliffs along the gravel road to Fletcher Bay at the end of the road.

    We decided to spend the night at Port Jackson campground near Fletcher Bay where we were treated to a magical sunset over the beach. Pretty perfect night with our own campfire and the some of the most spectacular star gazing we've had so far. We even managed a swim in the surprisingly warm sea in the morning before heading south to Hot Water Beach.

    Very impressed with the Coromandel so far!

    Christine
    Read more