Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    The Road To Skye

    July 12, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    The A82 carries on through Glencoe right the way up to Fort William and beyond.

    Fort William is the biggest city in these parts and after the glorious drive from Loch Lomond through Glencoe, frankly it's a jolt back to reality here. On the plus side you can refuel here and get some WiFi (if that bothers you which it does me). I have stopped here in the past. It does enable you to recalibrate with normality to some extent, but today I pressed on. More holiday traffic meant I'm already more than a couple of hours behind plan and my 8 hour drive to the North of Skye is already around 6 with 3 still to go. So on I go.

    The road to Skye from Spean Bridge contains some of the true highlights of Scottish scenery.

    You will pass breathtaking Loch Lochy, the third deepest Loch in Scotland with a mean depth of 70 m (230 ft), and a length of 10 miles. Folklore tales mention 'a supernatural being' called the River Horse which was said to emerge from the lake and assume a horse's shape before feeding on the loch's banks. The River Horse was also known as the Lord Of The Lake and the Water King and would overturn boats and 'entice mares from their pastures'.

    Passing Laggan Locks you will travel a little way along the Caledonian Canal then head through the groves of trees towards Invergarry with Loch Oich on your right. Then turning onto the A87 past the picturesque village you head up Glen Garry towards Loch Garry. Head on up to the highest point overlooking Loch Loyne. Here is the most spectaculour scenery. I am truly struck by awe each time I take this road. I can never remember the spiritual feeling I get there until I go back again. And there it is. Every time.

    There is a patch of ground here where it seems someone once built a little mound of stones. In Scotland such a thing is called a Cairn (a Scottish Gaelic word). Cairns are used for many things including monuments, trail markers, landmarks and even to locate buried items of treasure. People who've stopped here have noticed this makeshift cairn and decided they would build their own. So now what's here, overlooking the majestic Loch, are these hundreds of little personal Cairns built for reasons only the builders know.

    Back down the hill turn right at River Moriston. The road takes you along Loch Cluanie on the left then through the most stunning, mystical landscape through Glen Shiel with the towering peaks of Sgùrr Fhuaran and Beinn Fhada on the right.

    If you're not in a rush like I was today, get off the beaten track - turn right onto the Old Military Road at Shiel Bridge and explore. The scenery will blow your mind. But today I was straight on up Loch Duich towards the Kyle of Lochalsh and Skye Bridge.

    Then just before you reach Dornie you hit Eilean Donan Castle. One of the most photographed spots in all Scotland it really is the Jewel at the end of the A87.
    Read more