Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Kefalonia-2d visit, Argostolia port

    October 18, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    We had been diverted away from our planned stop at Mykonos due to severe weather and came here previously and had a excellent tour ( Best of Cephalonia) last time. So we decided to do our own thing this time and it worked out great! We got a good night sleep- woke up as we got into port at 10:00am. We had showers, got dressed and went to the Lido deck for lunch at 11:30.We left the ship approximately noon, walked out onto the pier with the expectation of having to walk 15 minutes to town. Fortunately, at the end of our pier we met a taxi driver, Christopher, and we negotiated to take us to a lighthouse, beautiful beaches, a classic long pedestrian bridge, one of 2 castles, and a variety of century-old churches. Additionally, I wanted to see some ancient Olive trees and olive harvesting, if possible. Negotiated price was 45 euros($50)
    We wound up doing everything requested plus seeing some sea turtles, picked up some street wine and circled the island. We gave him 90 euros and thought it a bargain for a 3 hour tour. And we didn’t have to walk to or return from town!😀

    We really love getting out on our own and discovering the locals way of life. We are finishing up these 2 months traveling feeling very safe and confidant that we can handle the majority of our tours by ourselves, unless they are long distance, or require special approvals or pre-planned tickets😀

    Of note, This stop in Kefalonia / Argostolia and Nafpilon on the Peloponnesus peninsula of Greece are both ideal places to return and spend a week or two each. They are clean, safe, friendly towns with lots to offer at reasonable prices and very mellow lifestyles!
    Read more