Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Corfu

    October 19, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 61 °F

    Slept in to 9:00 am, got up and we ate breakfast on Lido deck? Then got ready and headed out. We walked over to the Hop on bus tour stop and got going around noonish. We did one entire loop around Corfu and Kanoni, and then started our second loop with the open top bus. We got out at stop .#3 and walked over to the overlook of the Monastery and Mouse island. Maryanne, one of the Hop on guides told us that these were the best stops in Corfu ,so we slowly made our way down 100 steps to the seashore of the Ionian Sea. Together, as always, we walked over to the tiny monastery and enjoyed seeing the ancient chapel and paintings. After we said some prayers and lit a candle each, we then found great finds in the monk’s gift shop-all proceeds go to fund the Monastery. We found some beautiful gifts, and then caught the tiny ferry boat over to Mouse ( named for the shape of the island, not for an infestation) and climbed a bunch more steps to reach its’ chapel at the summit. This tiny chapel was very similar to the Monastery’s. Lit more candles, and then caught the ferry back to the seashore where we found a great little cafe where we had real Greek salads with creamy feta cheese dressing-yummy. Since our knees were now whining, we caught a cab to the Old Town, and surprise, surprise-we wert shopping!😀! After another bag of “Necessaries” we walked to the huge old fortress. Having paid our senior entry fee, we then ( guess what, you guessed it…) climbed a bunch more steps to see this huge edifice and took a couple of more pictures!
    As our time was getting short to return to the ship before it sailed away, we caught the next Red Hop on bus and then walked back thru port security with our new bag of goodies in time to shower before our 5:30 supper in the dining room.
    Read more