Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    In the air tonight

    September 11, 2019 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    No, nothing to do with Phil Collins, everything to do with a night on an A380 in Premium Economy class.

    This has been my best long haul flight ever. We left Zurich at about noon, on a 12 hour flight to Singapore. With 6hrs time zone shift, we arrive about 6am. Two thirds of the trip is in darkness.

    It's been several years since I've been on an A380 and the first time in Premium Economy. Why premium? For some unknown reason, when I was booking, premium economy was cheaper than standard economy.

    Premium economy on the Singapore Airlines A380 is at the pointy end of the lower deck, well before the noisy bit. With noise reducing headphones issued, wider seats and oodles of leg and knee room, this was a very smooth and comfortable ride. You almost forget you're on a plane except for some turbulence off the east coast of India that almost spilled my drink. There's also priority check in, more choice of meals and your luggage gets out quicker at the other end.

    Of course, business class or first class would be better but that will have to wait until I win lotto.
    Read more