Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Ghostrider adventure at Pulau Ubin

    September 15, 2019 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    While some Ghostriders are currently cruising down the Loire valley in France, some more exotic locations are sometimes sought.

    Pulau Ubin is a Singaporean island wedged in the Johore Strait between Singapore's main island and Malaysia. The island is more like 1960s Singapore. The island is used mostly for walking and cycling. Access is by small bumboats and bikes are usually hired on the island, just don't have high expectations on the quality. Gear changing is not as smooth as I am used to but it works more often than not. Whilst the seat rattles a bit, it's nothing to be concerned about, the raffia and wire do a reasonably good job of holding the seat in place most of the time.

    Cyclists are treated to a mix of sealed and gravel roads and off road adventures in the Ketam Mountain Bike Park. Nature lovers can explore mangrove swamps and bushland with an exotic assortment of flora and fauna.

    Monkeys great you along the road much like a Pyrenees mountain top finish in the Tour de France, though they are sometimes more interested in intimate dancing with their partner in the middle of the road rather than showing any interest in approaching cyclists.

    Wild boar sometimes hog the road. You may have to duck as hornbills fly across the path. Whilst they are carnivorous, the monitor lizards are unlikely to harm you as long as you don't run over them.

    A day on Pulau Ubin has plenty to offer, just no air conditioning to escape Singapore's relentless heat and humidity.
    Read more