Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    The Giants Causeway and more

    July 5, 2022 in Northern Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Today was tour day at the Giants Causeway. This is our third tour with Paddywagon tours and we really like them. Our pick up spot was a bit of a hike so we got going early...and in true Mooney fashion, arrived an hour early. We really misjudged. So there was a lot of sitting around waiting for the tour bus to arrive.

    The tour bus was full as it is also a day trip tour from Dublin. Luckily we could all still sit together. The bus takes us North out of Belfast and up into County Antrim where my grandfather and his family were from. It was pretty cool to imaging my relatives growing up and looking at these views.

    The tour's first stop is at the Dark Hedges which are featured in the show Game Of Thrones. Apparently, the land lord here wanted a very dramatic walkway up to his house so he planted these trees along the lane back in the 1700's. Hundreds of years later and they are impressive.

    Next we drove up to see Sheep's Island and Rathlin Island. In the distance you could just barely make out Scotland. Beautiful views.

    Then it was on to the main event. The Giant's Causeway. We weren't sure how long it would take so we ended up spending all our time on the Causeway and never got to eat lunch. So we got some ice cream from the hotel and just ate that. It would have to tie us over until supper.

    On the way back we stopped at the ruins of Dunlace Castle which apparently is also in Game Of Thrones. Without having watched the show, some of the awe was lost on me but I snapped some pics anyway. And then we were off to come back to Belfast.

    By the time we got back we were ready for supper. We decided on a place called McHugh's. It was amazing food in a 300 year old pub/reataurant. I finally got a Boxty meal, and Jen said the Irish stew was the best she had. Great atmosphere.

    We did a bit more wandering and made a couple of stops in some shops.... (hey, that rhymes) and then we headed home for the night. We currently have nothing scheduled for tomorrow so we will get going when everyone feels ready. Tomorrow is our last full day in Ireland and I am sad to see it go but excited for the rest. Thanks for staying tuned.

    And... the step counter for today clocked in at 20,404. I know that may seem like a lot of walking but we keep checking on the kids and they are doing great. They don't feel it is too much so as long as Jen and I can keep up then we are good (so don't call social services on us for child abuse)

    Anywho... off to bed. Check ya later.
    Read more