Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Last Day in Belfast and on to Edinburgh

    July 7, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    This update encompasses 2 days of our trip. Our last day in Belfast, we didn't do a lot. The highlight was getting to meet up with a distant cousin and his wife who live here in Northern Ireland. We met Pascal and Jacqui a few years ago when they came to Canada to visit the lost Mooney family. When they found out we were coming to Belfast they reached out and drove up to Belfast to meet us for Lunch. What a great time.

    Afterwards we went on a tour of the Crumlin Road Gaol (the old jail here in Belfast during the time of the troubles). Super interesting and very well done. We don't have much in the way of pictures because we weren't supposed to take any (but I think Jenny snuck a few). And after that we pretty much just walked home and started getting ready to check out the next morning. So you see, not a lot to tell.

    Which then takes us on to Edinburgh. For this travel day, we had to catch a bus at city hall and that bus takes us on to the Stena Line ferry and then off to Glasgow. I spent a bit of time on the outside deck of the ferry watching Ireland slowly fade into the distance. Not knowing what lay ahead. Turns out, Scotland looks a lot like Ireland. Who Knew?!?! It really is beautiful here. Glasgow looked really neat but unfortunately we were just passing through. We got to Glasgow by bus so we walked down to the Central train station, brought tickets to the next train to Edinburgh immediately boarded and we were off. Just like that.

    Arriving in Edinburgh was like a dream. Tall buildings all around us. Steep hills and narrow closes to walk through. Amazing. Out apartment is really cool too. 3rd floor walk up with a view of the grass market... although our building is covered with scaffolding so that isn't ideal. We got in and settled then went to a lovely little restaurant called Mums Great Comfort Food for a late supper. Then it was off to buy some groceries, get back to our place and do some laundry. I am really looking forward to some exploring tomorrow.

    That is it for these 2 days. Hopefully more exciting updates tomorrow.

    P.s. 15,401 steps yesterday and 16,953 today. Gonna have to"step it up" tomorrow. HAHAHA.
    Read more