Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Day 5 in London.... but not in London

    July 15, 2022 in England ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Today we hummed and hawed about it for awhile. Should we go to Oxford for the day or stay in London? Last night we decided not to go because the really cheap tickets were too early in the morning. But as we got up this morning and looked, the prices were reasonable and the times were reasonable, so we decided to just go for it. And I am glad we did. Oxford is so neat. So many amazing buildings, and so much history with world changing people littering their history. J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and so many others. If I could go to university, I would love to go to Oxford. The only thing holding me back would have been the money and my intelligence... combined with my poor study habits. But who knows.... maybe they have an outreach program.

    The highlight for all of us is the Magdalen College. It is where C.S. Lewis worked and lived. We got to go in and walk around some of the grounds and go into the chapel. Beautiful. I think I could have penned the Chronicles of Narnia if I lived in that environment. It almost feels like cheating.

    And the rest of Oxford is just as inspiring. Christ Church College, from the outside, is beautiful. (We were too late in the day to get to go inside) . The streets are filled with old beautiful buildings. It was just a pleasure to walk around and take in the sites. I do recommend it to anyone in the area.

    After the train ride home we had a little bit of gas in the tanks so we took a small detour to see the house where Agatha Christie lived for a time. Apparently they decided to sell it after the buildings across the street were bombed in the blitz and their basement was partially damaged.

    So now we are chilling at our place and deciding what we should do tomorrow for our last day in London. It may be a mish mash of things we missed along the way... or we just found out that Reese Witherspoon is in London so maybe we go a stalking.... we shall see.

    Oh... and the step counter clocked in at a respectable 23,959.... so time to eat ice cream. Until tomorrow....
    Read more