Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Jinja Uganda

    January 10, 2023 in Uganda ⋅ 🌩️ 24 °C

    It's time to travel again..!
    Today we are making the long journey back to Kampala and then on to Jinja. 9hrs to Kampala and the 3hrs to Jinja.
    Driving often gives you time to think and reflect. The last couple of days have been truly amazing and I have manage to tick off some from my bucket list.
    Nkosie and I are so inspired by the Ugandans.
    Their passion to be self sufficient.
    After a long drive we arrive at Kampala ready to meet out new driver and the lady that has assisted us to purchase the farm here in Uganda Paula.
    We pull into a shell garage and then from no where Paula arrives with her big smile and crazy hair. To be honest it was her hair I noticed first.
    The driver arrives and hour later and we say our good-byes to William.
    We pile into our now posh car and off we go we don't go very far when we end up in a traffic jam. Now I know why we have to have a driver. It's chaotic, complete madness the border border motorbikes come back to you from all directions cars do I have where they like it seems to be a complete free for all.

    It gets dark and we are still travelling. Then suddenly there is an almighty bang. Fortunately, our driver hits a police, spike blockade that goes across the road, piercing straight through a front driver-side tire. We limp along until the car comes to a halt. Now what?
    There are no police on site so both and causing me start to do what we have done many times before and change the tire. Driver calls the owner of the company and within minutes he arrives and takes over.

    We are once again up and away travelling to the hotel.
    After travelling for 15 hours, all you want is a bed and a shower, but maybe not in that order. We arrive at the Nile village spa hotel, place that was chosen for us to be able to relax after a hectic day at the children's home. As we walk up to reception, the lovely lady behind reception says how many I help you. I show her the booking confirmation and then she types away on her computer and unfortunately our booking has been cancelled.
    But in a very sweet manner, she says she has a room available for us in her sister hotel across the road. Exhausted I'm not ready to pick a fight. We then pick up all our bags and walk 250 yards down the road with men walking around with machine guns. We finally get to a hotel and get booked in shower and bed. I am exhausted and Mr and Nkosie looks like a walking zombie.
    Read more