Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    May 23 - Morning Game Drive

    May 23, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Up at 5:00 a.m. On safari at 6:00 a.m., again with Tony as our spotter and Harry as our driver and tracker. We learned how to expertly duck left, duck right, duck down as branches came close. Some of them have incredibly long and sharp needles on them.

    A couple of times, we had to go off-road to get around fallen trees on the road. And Tony had to pull out his machete occasionally. Elephants pull up trees and small animals build their homes under the tree. Then bigger animals eat them; bigger yet animals eat them, and then the lions and leopards finally eat the biggest ones in the food chain.
    In short order, we saw a giraffe and a zebra. And then zebra with an impala. Then a lone male buffalo who had been kicked out of his herd because he was too slow to keep up with their movements. We saw Zazu, the beautiful black and white bird again. So regal looking.

    We stopped for our morning coffee. Always a pleasure to have a wee drink, relive the great sightings we had already had, and plot our strategy for finding leopards! We really want to be able to say that we saw all of Africa’s Big Five.
    Read more