Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    May 26 - Victoria Falls

    May 26, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    After a nice breakfast inside since it was a bit cool to sit outdoors, we were picked up once again by Big Boy. After picking up some people at two other locations, Big Boy took us to Victoria Falls.

    Victoria Falls ("Thundering Smoke" or "Boiling Water") is a waterfall on the Zambezi River in southern Africa, which provides habitat for several unique species of plants and animals. It is located on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. The Zambezi River is the 4-th longest river in Africa, after the Nile, the Congo and the Niger Rivers.

    Archeological sites and oral history describe a long record of African knowledge of the site. Though known to some European geographers before the 19th century, Scottish missionary David Livingstone identified the falls in 1855, providing the English colonial name of Victoria Falls after Queen Victoria. It is a very important tourism site for both Zambia and Zimbabwe and is classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

    While it is neither the highest nor the widest waterfall in the world, the Victoria Falls is classified the largest, based on its combined width of 1,708 metres (5,604 ft) and height of 108 metres (354 ft), resulting in the world's largest sheet of falling water. The Victoria Falls are roughly twice the height of Niagara Falls and well over twice its width.

    After giving us a short history of the falls, Big Boy led us through the surrounding rainforest to the main viewing vantage points. Words and photos are both inadequate for capturing the magnificence of Victoria Falls. The roar of the falls, the rising mist, the occasion rain shower, the sheer power of the water – we all just drank in the sight.

    Big Boy delivered us back to the hotel. We’ll be doing a river cruise this afternoon. It’s nice to have a few hours to enjoy some relaxation time.
    Read more