Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    May 26 - Sunset Boat Cruise

    May 26, 2023 in Zimbabwe ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    At 4:00 p.m., we climbed on a boat reminiscent of the African Queen in the movie with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. The boat was named Ra Ikane, after one of the guides who first led David Livingstone to the Victoria Falls. There were just seven other people on the boat. We were served drinks and snacks as we lounged amide the period decor as we gently cruised the Zambezi River. We could see the mist from Victoria Falls off in the distance. We made a new friend, Anouk, who is a travel agent based in Johannesburg. She is evaluating properties in the area.

    Along the river, we saw two pods of hippos, a very well-hidden crocodile, and then another crocodile with the distinctive ridges on its back swimming along the shoreline. We saw lots of birds too.

    The boat stopped so that we could enjoy the beauty of the sunset. What glorious shades of orange and red as the bright sun dropped beneath the horizon!

    We had planned to return to the Three Monkeys tonight for dinner, but with the lovely munchies that we had on the boat, none of us was hungry enough for a real restaurant. We opted to eat at the outside bar area on this clear, warm, beautiful night and just have a drink and light foods. Anouk joined us and kept us entertained.

    We have a full day tomorrow - the last day of activities for Sandy and myself.
    Read more