Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Chimborazo - Hike & Bike 🌋

    April 13, 2022 in Ecuador ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    Today I had tears in my eyes several times.
    It was a very special day. I decided to do the Hike & Bike Tour to the Chimborazo.

    Chimborazo is a currently inactive stratovolcano in the Cordillera Occidental range of the Andes. Its last known eruption is believed to have occurred around 550 A.D.
    Chimborazo's summit is the farthest point on the Earth's surface from the Earth's center given that it is located along the planet's equatorial bulge. Chimborazo's summit, however, is not higher than the summit of Mount Everest, as elevation is measured from sea level.
    With a peak elevation of 6.263 m, Chimborazo is the highest mountain in Ecuador and the 39th highest peak in the Andes.

    With a Pickup truck 🛻 and the mountain bikes on the truck bed we started towards the NP. Our guide said that we are very very lucky because the sky is clearing. In the last weeks nothing was to be seen of the Chimborazo - no rarity during the rainy season.

    Already the first views were breathtaking and beautiful.
    We drove up to 4.900m - to the main shelter at the Chimborazo and hiked up to 5.100m. First time in my life over 5.000m. Staying in the snow next to the equator.

    We hiked down again to the car, picked up the bikes and rode all the way down. One of the most beautiful and special bike rides I have ever did.
    Read more